Jobs at Local 11
Position: Communications Organizer
Location: Los Angeles
Summary: UNITE HERE Local 11 is the Los Angeles and Orange County affiliate of UNITE HERE, a progressive labor union dedicated to creating greater equality and opportunity for workers in the North American hospitality industry. The Communications Organizer is embedded in local worker campaigns and plays a crucial role in designing comprehensive communications strategies using earned media, digital, and multi-media tools to raise the visibility of worker struggles. As a Communications Organizer with UNITE HERE, you will be part of a team that empowers people in low-wage service jobs to achieve better wages and benefits, dignity, and basic rights at work.
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Developing and implementing proactive earned media outreach, including pitching stories, planning and running media events, and training workers to be spokespersons
- Writing materials for public audiences, including leaflets, website content, emails, news releases, fact sheets, talking points, and ads. Editing and revising others’ content as necessary
- Framing messages and developing materials for effective communication with multiple audiences, including the news media, the general public, elected officials, Local 11 members, and allies
- Collaborating with leaders across Local 11 to develop, plan, and lead communications strategies that support worker organizing and advance our strategic vision. Analyzing the effectiveness of strategies to improve campaigns
- Adapting written and visual materials for effective use on multiple platforms, including social media; digital advertising; email and petition platforms; and print and broadcast media
- Writing member communications, including a regular e-newsletter and mass texts and emails
- Managing the Local 11 website and social media feeds, including regularly creating/curating content
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated experience as an aggressive campaigner/organizer
- Minimum of one year of work experience in media relations, campaign communications, or grassroots advocacy campaigns
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to frame issues and develop effective advocacy materials for specific audiences
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with Web-based services for mass email (e.g.: Action Network, MailChimp, Constant Contact) and mass texting (e.g.: Mobile Commons, Club Texting, EZ Texting) a plus
- Experience with social media platforms and advertising on them a plus
- Experience with creative media production in one or more of the following areas a plus: web development, graphic design, photography, or video production/editing
- Experiencing training volunteers a plus
- Proficiency in spoken and written Spanish a plus
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample with the job title for which you're applying in the subject line of the e-mail to Daria Ovide.
Position: New Development Researcher
Our research teams conduct industry, corporate, real estate and political research and analysis to develop and carry out campaigns focused on winning economic justice for low wage, primarily immigrant hospitality workers. Our campaigns organize non-union workers and secure improved standards for existing union members in the food service, gaming and casino, and hotel industries.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Research companies using a wide variety of sources, including published databases, on-line and Internet sources
- Conduct local and field research on companies, industries and/or real estate development projects
- Develop company analyses and adapt them for various audiences (e.g. leadership & staff, workers, stockholders, political & regulatory bodies, the public)
- Identify and analyze new development projects in our industries and represent the union during the planning & political approval process
- Communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of players including community organizations, company officials, customers, government staff and elected leaders
- Develop and carry out campaign strategies and tactics
- Work with UNITE HERE members, organizers, regional staff and elected leaders; assist in moving campaigns forward through organizing, leading actions, doing political work, as needed.
Desired Qualifications include:
- Passion for, and commitment to, fighting for workers' rights
- BA degree or relevant research and/or activist experience (labor, political, urban planning, or community/campus)
- Strong analytical, writing, computer and interpersonal/organizing skills
- Willingness to travel extensively, to work long and sometimes irregular hours, and relocate as necessary
- Familiarity with database and word processing software
- Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines
- Bilingual in Spanish and/or Mandarin preferred, but not required
- Familiarity of Los Angeles politics and stakeholders
- Reliable car and driver’s license
Current UNITE HERE Campaign Researchers have worked in the past as community and union organizers, urban planners, journalists, teachers, and researchers elsewhere.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample with the job title for which you're applying in the subject line of the e-mail to Rachel Torres.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Positions include excellent health and retirement benefits.
WOMEN AND PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.