UNITE HERE Local 11 represents 32,000 hospitality workers across Southern California and Arizona. Our local is the fastest growing in the private sector. We’re looking for a creative and energetic communications organizer to strategize and implement campaigns.
- Field press requests, write media advisories and press releases, build relationships with reporters, and pitch reporters about events and campaigns
- Work with organizing teams to identify powerful worker testimonials and earned media opportunities; prepare spokespeople
- Create simple flyers and other promotional materials
- Manage social media editorial calendar for multiple platforms to maximize post engagement and reach. Create post content, take photos and/or short videos, go live, and assemble simple graphics
- Strategize and build online actions to engage and grow email lists of members and potential allies
- Strategize, write, and implement messages and campaigns for email, broadcast text, and peer-to-peer texting; monitor performance, engage with responses, and train others
- Write for diverse audiences, e.g. websites for union members or consumers, online ads for the general public, social media posts for hospitality industry workers generally
- Update website content as needed
- Some experience in field or online organizing or political campaigns
- Some experience in media relations, communications, or marketing
- Demonstrated passion for progressive politics and social justice
- Ability to write concisely, clearly, and quickly with minimal oversight or copyediting.
- Technological savvy and ability to learn new databases, online platforms, etc. relatively quickly. Experience shooting and editing short videos is a plus but not required
- Bilingual in Spanish is an important plus but not required
Strong candidates could be organizers with field experience who are interested in moving into communications. Someone with professional campaign experience in public relations or marketing who has a demonstrated interest in organizing and social justice could also be a good fit.
This is a full-time position. Compensation based on experience.
UNITE HERE Local 11 is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating a diverse, multi-cultural work environment. People of color, women, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume to comms[at]unitehere11.org with “Communications Organizer” as the subject of your message.