UNITE HERE Local 11 is a progressive, movement-based labor union working to improve labor standards in the hospitality sector. Based in Los Angeles, we represent over 35,000 workers employed in hotels, restaurants, airports, sports arenas, and convention centers throughout Southern California and Arizona. Reflecting the needs of our membership, we are at the forefront of efforts to defend the rights of immigrants, people of color, and women in the workplace and in the political sphere.
We are seeking a dynamic and passionate individual to serve as a grievance handler for our growing organizing and contracts teams. The program includes training and hands-on experience in worker interviewing, contract enforcement, organizing, and campaign strategy. As a grievance handler with Local 11, you will be part of a larger effort to organize workers and defend their rights, win better wages and working conditions, and build power for workers across the Union’s jurisdiction.
UNITE HERE Local 11 has four offices in California (Los Angeles, Garden Grove, Inglewood, and Long Beach) and one in Phoenix, Arizona. This position works primarily from our main offices in Los Angeles.
include but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct worker interviews and site visits to investigate potential violations of collective bargaining agreements and legal protections;
- Support Local 11 attorneys and organizers in filing administrative complaints where violations implicate local, state, or federal law;
- File grievances on behalf of workers and ensure that grievance procedures are followed;
- Correspond with company representatives concerning grievance meetings, requests for information related to grievances, and other matters;
- Work with organizers and Local 11 attorneys to educate workers regarding their contractual and legal rights;
- Train Union staff, shop stewards, and members on grievance handling and contract enforcement;
- Maintain our grievance module and other organizational systems to ensure the grievance process is followed and filings are timely;
- Other duties as assigned.
The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required for the position:
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills and high capacity for attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Ability to work independently within the context of a plan
- Good interpersonal and communication skills; must work well with others
- A strong commitment to building power with working people; advocacy and campaign experience within the labor movement are preferred but not required
- Spanish language skills are highly preferred
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are determined by the Local 11 staff union contract. The pay rate for probationary grievance handlers in 2022 was $19.71. Benefits include health, dental, vision, life, employer contributions to a union pension fund, and legal services.
How To Apply:
Please email a résumé, references, and cover letter with “Grievance Handler Application” in the email subject line to dosborn[at]unitehere11[dot]org. Please include your available start date in the cover letter.