UNITE HERE Local 11 is a progressive, movement-based labor union working to improve labor standards in the hospitality sector. Based in Los Angeles, we represent over 35,000 workers employed in hotels, restaurants, airports, sports arenas, and convention centers throughout Southern California and Arizona. Reflecting the needs of our membership, we are at the forefront of efforts to defend the rights of immigrants, people of color, and women in the workplace and in the political sphere
We are seeking a dynamic and passionate individual to serve as a legal assistant to our growing legal team and contracts department. The program includes training and hands-on experience in worker interviewing, contract enforcement, litigation, and bargaining. As a legal assistant for Local 11, you will be part of a larger effort to use legal strategies to build power for workers across the Union’s jurisdiction.
UNITE HERE Local 11 has four offices in California (Los Angeles, Garden Grove, Inglewood, and Long Beach) and one in Phoenix, Arizona. The main office is located at 464 S Lucas Ave, Suite 201, Los Angeles, CA 90017. This position works primarily from the main office in Los Angeles.
include but are not limited to the following:
- Support Local 11 attorneys and negotiators in bargaining through attending contract negotiations, drafting contract proposals, and finalizing documents such as contracts and memoranda of understanding;
- Assist organizers, Local 11 attorneys, and other staff in grievance handling and contract enforcement;
- Support Local 11 attorneys and organizers in preparing for arbitrations;
- Prepare administrative complaints on behalf of members and assist with investigation and fact-finding, as needed;
- Correspond with company representatives concerning requests for information and other matters;
- Continue to develop and maintain filing system;
- Translate written text from English to Spanish and vice versa;
- Other duties as assigned.
The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required for the position:
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, Mac & PC
- Working knowledge of office equipment e.g., printers and copiers
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills and high capacity for attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Ability to work independently within the context of a plan
- Good interpersonal and communication skills; must work well with others
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- A strong commitment to building power with working people; advocacy and campaign experience within the labor movement are preferred but not required
- Paralegal experience is preferred but not required
How To Apply:
Please email a résumé, references, and cover letter with “Legal Assistant Application” in the email subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your available start date in the cover letter.