Our movement has spent years working to elect people who reflect our families and our values. In 2020, UNITE HERE Local 11 members knocked on more than 800,000 voter doors in Arizona. This is the story of the workers from Local 11 who went knocking from door to door in Arizona during a global pandemic tu flip the state blue, and win power and respect for the working class of this nation.
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR
LOCAL 11 ARIZONA MEMBERS
For your safety and the safety of our community, all union offices are currently closed. We will start with virtual unemployment insurance assistance soon; details to come. You can call the Local 11 helpline at 480-795-5330 EXT 242 and leave a message with your first and last name, your phone number, and where you work. We will get back to you within 24 hours.
COMPREHENSIVE RESOURCE GUIDE FOR WORKERS IN ARIZONA DURING THE COVID-19 CRISIS:
- 211 Website: https://211arizona.org/
- Unemployment Insurance: https://des.az.gov/services/employment/unemployment-individual
- SNAP, Cash & Medical Assistance: https://www.healthearizonaplus.gov.
- Food Bank Locations: www.azfoodbanks.org
- WIC: https://www.azdhs.gov/prevention/azwic/index.php
- Rent and Mortgage Relief: https://housing.az.gov/ or look up # to call here https://housing.az.gov/community-action-agencies-arizona-offer-emergency-eviction-and-utility-assistance
- Utility Assistance: https://des.az.gov/services/basic-needs/shelter-housing/utility-assistance
Arizona Unemployment Insurance
You can apply from the Arizona Department of Economic Security Website. If you need help, please call the hotline at (480) 795-5330 EXT 242.
What you need to have when you apply:
- Your Social Security Number.
- AZ Driver’s License or AZ State Issued ID (Note: you may still complete your application without these two items).
- Your mailing address, city, state and ZIP code.
- If you live in Arizona, know the county where you reside.
- The names, addresses, and phone numbers of all your employers for the last 18 months.
- The last day you worked immediately prior to filing your UI claim.
- If you received severance, vacation, holiday or payment for unused sick pay: give the amount (before deductions) and the date it was paid to you.
- Alien Registration Number, if applicable.
- Copy # 4 of your DD Form 214 if released from the military in the last 18 months
- If you are collecting a pension (other than Social Security), you will need the start date of the pension and the monthly benefit amount.
You should NOT mark that you have been “discharged,” which means “fired,” because it will take much longer to process (3-4 weeks). You should mark that you have been “laid off,” or have a “lack of hours.”
The process is very streamlined. There’s a helpful video on the front page. If you are struggling with it, call the hotline at 480-795-5330 EXT 242 so someone can walk you through it.
Election Day will Mark 800,000 door knocks for Arizona’s Largest Political Field Operation
300 canvassers operating out of five offices across greater Phoenix focused on winning Arizona for Biden/Harris, Mark Kelly for Senate, and pro-working-family candidates in state and local races
Phoenix, Arizona: In an Election Day push to get out the vote in Arizona, more than 300 canvassers with UNITE HERE Local 11 will launch their final door-to-door field canvass to elect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris and Mark Kelly. These efforts make the campaign the largest on-the-ground field operation in Arizona for the Biden/Harris presidential ticket and U.S Senate candidate Mark Kelly, as well as races to flip the state legislature in support of pro-worker candidates and to win the state-wide education funding measure Proposition 208.
UNITE HERE Local 11 and CASE Action project that their canvass will have yielded 800,000 door knocks and resulted in 200,000 in-person conversations with voters. They have also made over 2.5 million phone calls and talked to more than 60,000 voters on the phone. Key canvassers and campaign directors will be monitoring nation-wide election results at the campaign headquarters and will be available for in-person interviews.
Local 11 launched its canvass in July with community organizing partner CASE Action and has been knocking on 20,000 doors a day for Biden and Kelly, as well as state and local candidates and issues. UNITE HERE Local 11 was the first organization in the country to develop COVID-19 safety protocols that would enable political canvassers to safely return to the field. Since then, other campaigns across the country have looked to the union’s efforts and begun to use similar safety models.
UNITE HERE affiliates in the key swing states of Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Florida are also running the largest political field operations in their respective states. The union is committed to seeing the election process through and ensuring that every vote is counted.