Next strike wave targets Rose Bowl as pressure builds for Aimbridge Hospitality-operated hotels and Ensemble-operated Hotel Maya
Los Angeles: On the heels of last week’s streak of 9 Marriotts and 1 more Hilton hotel agreeing to a standard setting contract, the InterContinental Downtown Los Angeles, Hotel Indigo DTLA, E-Central DTLA and the Sheraton Gateway LAX are now the latest to sign tentative agreements with UNITE HERE Local 11.
With this latest announcement, a total of 24 Southern California hotels have now signed agreements with UNITE HERE Local 11.
Diana Sanchez, housekeeping supervisor at the InterContinental Downtown Los Angeles, said, “We had a party in the cafeteria this morning. We are stronger today than when we first went out on strike. But we also know that this fight is not over until all hotel workers win this historic agreement.”
- Unprecedented wage increases that keep pace with the soaring cost of housing
- Affordable, excellent family healthcare
- Humane workloads and safe staffing
- Improved pension increases so that workers can retire with dignity
- Language improvements, including Equal Justice language that, among other things, will help to provide access to union jobs for formerly incarcerated individuals and unprecedented protections for immigrant workers.
“We applaud the 24 hotels that have reached settlements. But we are disgusted with greedy private equity hotel owners like Aimbridge and Blackstone that are focused on profits rather than the welfare of their workers and the reputation of our city,”said Kurt Petersen, co-president of UNITE HERE Local 11. “If they want to prolong this dispute, we have no choice but to strike during the Rose Bowl festivities.”
Other hotels operated by Aimbridge Hospitality like Hilton Pasadena, and Ensemble-operated Hotel Maya and Hyatt Place Pasadena continue to refuse to meet the new hotel contract standard. Pasadena is home to the Rose Bowl and Rose Parade, which take place on January 1, 2024. The escalating labor dispute will impact guests during these events if an agreement is not reached before then.