Effective April 1, 2021:
To All Local 11 Members Employed at a Legal Fund Participating Workplace:
Members who currently meet eligibility requirements will continue to receive all Legal Fund Services as described in the Summary Plan Description (“SPD”), which can be found here.
The SPD also describes the requirements for Eligibility.
Members who were eligible in February of 2020 and worked at least 60 hours in February of 2020 or later, but who do not currently have continuing eligibility based on 60 hours per month of work in Covered Employment (“Previously Eligible”), will continue to receive the “Essential Legal Services” identified in the attached List of Essential Legal Services.
To find out if you are currently eligible, or if you are a Previously Eligible member (based on your previous eligibility at any time since February 2020), you can contact the Funds Administrative Office at (562) 463-5020.
If you are Previously Eligible and work enough hours in the future to meet the Eligibility Requirements in the SPD, you will be entitled at that time to all Legal Services described in the SPD.
If you have engaged Hadsell Stormer Renick & Dai, LLP (“HSR&D”) as your attorney to provide a covered service as described in the SPD, HSR&D will complete those services regardless of whether you are currently eligible.
You can set an appointment with HSR&D by calling 213 785-6999, Monday thru Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
LIST OF ESSENTIAL SERVICES
|LEGAL SERVICE PROVIDED||DESCRIPTION|
|I. Consumer Matters||General Consultations|
|Pro Per Answers to Civil and small claims actions|
|Claim of Exemption to Wage Garnishment|
|II. Social Security Benefits||General Consultations and Advice|
|Advice and Assistance on Requests for Survivor Benefits|
|Advice and Assistance on Transfers of Qualified Earnings|
|Advice and Assistance on Social Security Benefits (SSI) Benefits, not including representation at hearings|
|III. Personal Bankruptcy||General Consultation and Advice|
|Preparation and Filing of Chapter 7, Voluntary Petitions for Bankruptcy, for persons unable to pay their creditors and seeking to discharge debt where a collection lawsuit has been filed or where wage garnishment has been ordered.|
|Preparation for and representation at 341(a) Meetings of Creditors following filing of Chapter 7 Voluntary Petition where a collection lawsuit has been filed or where wage garnishment has been ordered.|
|IV. Real Estate Matters||General consultation and advice regarding the purchase of an owner-occupied home.|
|Review of escrow documents, property profiles and other papers in relation to the purchase of an owner-occupied home.|
|Advice only on quitclaim deeds and joint tenant deeds.|
|V. Landlord Tenant||Consultation, advice and assistance on tenant and housing issues, including rent increases, rent control, health and safety, and security deposits.|
|Advice and assistance on 3 day notices to pay rent or quit or 3 day notices to perform or quit; also, 30 day and 60 day notices.|
|Advice and assistance on obtaining repairs to units|
|Advice and assistance in obtaining return of security deposits.|
|Answers to Unlawful Detainer complaints (eviction actions), with trial representation only in meritorious cases.|
|VI. Wills & Trusts (Estate Planning)||Advance Health Care Directive for Participant and Spouse|
|Powers of Attorney for Participant and Spouse|
|VI. Criminal Misdemeanors||General consultation and advice|
|Assistance in plea negotiations only|
|VII. Immigration||Immigration Consultation|
|Work Permit Renewal, I-765.|
|Interim Work Permit, available when work permit application is pending more than 90 days|
|Green card renewal/replacement, 1-90.|
|Removal of Conditional Status on Legal Permanent Residency, I-751.|
|Temporary Protected. Status (TPS), I-821.|
|Advance Parole Application, to request permission to reenter the U. S. after travel abroad.|
|General Consultation and assistance in completing and filing Renewals for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Deferred Action Program (“DACA”)|
|VIII. Miscellaneous Services||Complete Notary Service for notarizing signatures on documents.|
|Translation of documents used in immigration processing, such as Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate.|
|IX. Court Costs and Filings Fees||The Plan covers one-half of Court Costs, Filing Fees, and Service Fees. The Plan does not cover the costs of personal or foreign service of process, credit reports or credit counseling classes required in connection with a Bankruptcy filing.|
The following legal services are not covered by the Plan.
- Any matter in dispute involving an Employer or Union or agent or employee of the Union or Employer; or this Fund, UNITE HERE Health, or the Los Angeles Hotel- Restaurant Employer-Union Retirement Fund, or the Trustees, agents and employees of such Funds.
- Legal services to a Dependent adverse to the interest of the Employee. This may include closing an existing open case if a conflict arises.
- Court fines and judgments.
- Any fees associated with the purchase of homes, including escrow fees, closing, title insurance, title search, or similar costs.
- Any matter involving a trade or business or otherwise involving property or activities for the production of income.
- Parking tickets.
- Matters involving Driving Under the Influence (DUI).
- Frivolous or Non-meritorious claims or defenses.
- Contingency fee cases.
- Class actions.
- Any debt collection defense under $750.00.
- Felony charges or dispositions.
- Representation of members who are Landlords in a Landlord-Tenant Dispute.
- Any contested dissolution of marriage (divorce). A contested dissolution (divorce) is where the parties (husband and wife) are not in agreement as to the divorce, custody issues, or the distribution of property.
- Patent or Copyright matters.
- Any bankruptcy involving a trade or business or otherwise involving property or activities for the production of income.
- Drafting of living trusts or other probate documents or matters.
- Any matter not specifically covered under the List of Essential Services above.
- Consultations regarding services not covered by the Plan. 21. Representation outside the County in which the Employer resides.
The Legal Fund Of Hotel And Restaurant Employees Of Los Angeles has no liability for the conduct of any participating Attorney. The firm of Hadsell Stormer Renick & Dai, LLP is responsible for all services provided through its law offices.